The European 3D Simulation and Virtual Technology Event
With support from ECTP-CEU
URBAN PLANNING & GEOSPATIAL 3D
AN IMMEDIATE CHALLENGE
International conference & exhibition dedicated to 3D geospatial technologies and data for urban planningMonaco 7-9 FEBRUARY 2012
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION DEDICATED TO 3D GEOSPATIAL TECHNOLOGIES AND DATA FOR URBAN PLANNING
Under the patronage of its Honorary President, HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco.
A EUROPEAN EVENT SHOWCASING 3D TECHNOLOGIES REVOLUTIONIZING URBAN PLANNING
The future of European town, cities and local areas requires a comprehensive understanding of sustainable development. This is theoretically obvious, given the way in which the implementation of European policies that aim to fight the phenomenon of urban sprawl has completely changed approaches to designing and reading urban landscapes. Increasing density, better preserving green corridors and urban agriculture and developing cities of short distances are all challenges that meet general approval but which are difficult to pass on.
In order to move from discussion to action, presentational tools are often wanting, while initiatives for creating tools that enable more objective discussion are thriving at a local level. This is because building a sustainable town or city is both a hugely important issue and a measure that requires the use of immense resources in order to prove convincing.
To what extent can digital tools be used alongside the processes employed in making changes to urban structures? What are the advantages of using georeferenced mock-ups in urban studies and in the dialogue that forms around this? How can 3D cartography be used to fight urban sprawl?
Director of the Agency for Economic Development
of the Pays de Montbéliard.
THE GOAL OF THE CONFERENCE
* Increase elected officials and decision makers’ awareness of the issues surrounding digital technologies.
* Develop urban designers’ understanding by providing a comprehensive overview of the digital technologies that are available in their area.
* Facilitate their day-to-day implementation by encouraging people to share their experiences.
* Strengthen dialogue and communication between urban designers and solutions publishers.
MAIN SUBJECTS COVERED
* The consequences of the INSPIRE directive for urban designers.
* What are the advantages of georeferenced virtual mock-ups being used in urban studies?
* How can people work together on a virtual mock-up?
* Using 3D cartography to better fight urban sprawl.
* What is the role of 3D in local coherence planning?
* The use of virtual mock-ups in redeveloping urban centres.
* Natural risks: how simulation can increase awareness.
FEBRUARY 2012, TUESDAY 7TH ARCHITECTURE CONFERENCE
Can digital technologies improve the eco-design of buildings?
Environmental regulation constraints increasingly require architects to turn to environmentally conscious and sustainable designs for buildings. BIM and 3D digital technologies have recently been presented as unrivalled tools that now offer proven productivity gains. To what extent does this technological progress help to make building designs more environmentally conscious? Can 3D help us to reduce energy consumption? Can it make the building more sustainable?
FEBRUARY 2012, WEDNESDAY 8TH DIGITAL CITIES CONFERENCE
Improving town management thanks to 3D
Town management involves comparing complex problems for which an increasing number of digital mock-ups have appeared over the last few years. For obvious financial and practical reasons, towns and cities are moving towards specially developed and long-lasting digital mock-ups, based on reliable geo-spatial data. imagina invites all European towns and cities to come and compare views on the issues surrounding, limits of and prospects for the digital towns and cities of tomorrow and methods of managing them.
FEBRUARY 2012, THURSDAY 9TH
9:30 – 11:00 3D – 3D &THE EUROPEAN TARGETS CONCERNING SUSTAINABLE TOWN PLANNING
- Dominique LANCRENON, President of the European Council of Spatial Planners.
Sustainable urbanism and Europe, a ‘happy’ match.
- Brigitte BARIOL, Delegate general of the FNAU
A new perspective for sustainable urban planning in Europe.
- François SALGE, French Ministry of Transportation, Equipment, Tourism & Sea
The INSPIRE directive challenges – what is at stake?
- IGN France Free access to the RGE, a 3D revolution in urban planning.
11:30 – 13:00 3D – RAISING AWARENESS IN URBAN DESIGN THANKS TO 3D
- Martin BERCHTOLD, Coordinator of a Berlin-based work group on the topics of urbanism, GIS and 3D.
- Sylvain CZECHOWSKI, Director of the Catalane Urban Planning Agency.
The advantages offered by 3D when designing long term land development plans (Schéma de cohérence territoriale, or ‘SCOT’).
- Jacques TESSIER, Urban Planer, General Council of the region of Herault (France).
Land use and occupency measurement methodology thanks to 3D.
- Luc SALVAIRE, ENSAIS Architect, Vice-President of ACAD.
Working alongside elected representatives in the presentation of a project through 3D.
14:30 – 16:00 3D – FACILITATE COLLABORATION BETWEEN PLAYERS IN URBAN DESIGN & PLANNING
- Nathalie GENDRE, SPLA Lyon Confluence. I Catherine ALFARROBA, Deputy Mayor in charge of town
planning for the city of Clichy-la-Garenne.
- Nuno PINTO, professor at the university of Coimbra and author of a book looking at how 3D can be shared and put at the service of all parties involved in urbanism.
16:00 – 16.30 CONCLUSION & ROUND TABLE