Cyprus Association of Town Planners (CATP)
ECTP-CEU member since:
Amount of own members: 71
President: Mr. Andreas Agapiou
Delegate(s): Phaedon ENOTIADES, Georges PHEDONOS
Mr. Panicos Panayides / firstname.lastname@example.org
Cyprus Association of Town Planners
P.O. Box 23690, 1685 Nicosia
Annual CATP reports to ECTP-CEU
Cyprus projects presented by the CATP to the ECTP-CEU European and Regional Planning Awards:
Country Factsheet for Cyprus (.cy)
ECTP-CEU Stage 2 Draft – Appendix 4 Draft Directory (2012-12-21)
General Country Information
Capital City Nicosia
Area of island: 9,251 km square
Population Density 86 per km2
EU Membership Cyprus joined what is now known as the EU in 2004.
The Cyprus island was divided in 1974 between the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, and the Republic of Cyprus on the south part of the island. The Republic of Cyprus treats de jure all the island, but since 1974 is de facto limited to the south part.
Cyprus Ministry contacts:
(From the Government website)
Τμήμα Πολεοδομίας και Οικήσεως (Department of Town Planning and Housing)
Οδός Κινύρα 5 – 6,
Planning as a Regulated Profession in Cyprus
The common professional name is “Πολεοδόμος – Χωροτάκτης ” (“Town Planner”).
EU Database Status:
The profession of planner in Cyprus is included in the EU Database of Regulated Professions, and is regulated by the ETEK (The Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber).
Yes, by the ETEK. Eligibility criteria are:
“Any person may be included in the Registry of Engineering Services Providers if he/she:
• is established and legally practises the Engineering Science Profession in a member state/third country;
• in case that the Engineering Science is not regulated profession in the member state of establishment, at least two years of Engineering Science Profession within the last ten years is required;
• is a holder of a temporary residence permit by the Civil Registry and Migration Department (only for third country nationals).”
Universities with approved trainings in Cyprus
The course leading to the profession of Urban Planner is based on engineering studies in Cyprus, which must be accredited by the Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber (ETEK). There are correspondences between Greek and Cyprus courses, the ECTP-CEU study on recognition took a Greek university to present Greek and Cyprus courses. Moreover, as part of the Commonwealth, many Cyprus town planners get their qualification in RTPI (UK association of Town Planners) accredited planning education institutions.
An example of accredited course:
• Degree in Civil Engineering, Cyprus University of Technology, Department of Civil Engineering and Geomatics
Example from “ECTP-CEU Draft Stage 2 Study on the Recognition of Planning Qualifications in Europe”:
Undergraduate in Planning and Regional Development, University of Thessaly:
Even if it is an undergraduate course, the ten semesters and the range of modules allow it to meet the criteria for the selection as an exemplar course in the study.
Town Planning Press of Cyprus
▪ Sell & Build
• Cyprus Property News
• ETEK Magazine
• Cyprus Property and Home
The main documentation about planning and territorial decisions lies in two fundamental documents:
• Σχέδιο για τη Νήσο (Plan for the Isle)
• Τοπικά Σχέδια (Local Plan)
Σχέδιο για τη Νήσο (Plan for the Isle):
According to the legislation, this plan is set for the whole island of Cyprus to control and promote growth in respect with economy, land use and social matters. It defines the general planning policies which must be followed. However, the Turkish part of the island prevents it to be applied to the entire territory.
Τοπικά Σχέδια (Local Plan):
Local Plans treat a wide range of matters and refer to many types of developments. They concern large geographic areas on infrastructure networks or standards.
Others documents can be added to the planning system, such as “Σχέδια Περιοχής” (Area Plans) that include more details than Local Plans because of their smaller geographical concern. There is also “Δήλωση Πολιτικής” (Policy Statement), which purpose is to create a single framework for the development of areas non-covered by a Local Plan, in accordance with the Environment Protection.
• Town Planning Department
• Under the Town and Country Planning Law, the principal municipalities of Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca and Paphops have the power to act as planning authorities.
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION AND COMMUNICATION
Information, consultation and dialogue
In 2005, the Cyprus Ministry of Interior, through the Department of Town Planning and Housing, published a Citizen’s Charter concerning the Cyprus planning system. It defines standard services that the Ministry and its Department imposed to themselves on planning system mechanisms and procedures.
The purpose is to provide information and explanations to the citizens, in order for them to participate and improve planning decisions.
Main Planning legislation
From Soil Conservation Law, 28 April 1952, Arrangement of sections, Section 2, Interpretation:
“soil conservation measure” means any measure applied to land for the purpose of:
• the prevention of soil erosion or the reclamation of land affected thereby;
• the prevention of sand drift or the reclamation of land affected thereby;
• the protection, conservation or improvement of the land, the vegetation, the surface of the land and the soil;
• the protection, conservation or stabilization of any water source or water supply; or
• the betterment of any stream, river, water course or water course land;”
ETEK (The Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber):
Ministry of Interior, Department of Town Planning and Housing:
Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture:
Regulated Professions Database of the European Commission:
European Urban Knowledge Network:
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: